Every Madame Should Have a Sense of Occassion


Valentines day only beeped on my radar this year because I was a lucky Madame, a very lucky Madame. I got an 'in' for my lover and I (word lover to be whispered when read) to the one and only Club Noir, Glasgow. It would be very nonchalant and cool of me to say that I was 'jump up and down' excited. That would be a huge understatement.

A Valentines "Saturday Night at the Movies" theme and oh my heart. With a mish mash of things I brought from home before moving here, I worked with what I had. My silver and green polka dotted corset I knew was a must for the event. The fact that I wore it with an autumnal medley including a brown skirt, red shoes and a blue feathered head piece and granny jewellery is irrelevant. I wasn't going for matching. It was actually a concoction gathered from the leftovers of every other ensemble I tried with the corset before that. The only thing that works with corsets I really think is knickers. But this Madame had a few stops to make the night of the cabaret and thought that a corset and frilly knickers may be too much for the rest of the Saturday night revellers.

I look forward to the fact that one day I will be an old eccentric lady with scarves of all colours, huge earrings, long grey hair living in an artists retreat/commune in a movie destination somewhere with a lake, with a village and house like the one in "Practical Magic." The kind of place that doesn't really trust you cause you're a mad auld wench squawking at all hours of the morning but they like you nonetheless. The kind of place where Poirot is the local detective and Elizabeth Montgomery's mother is your neighbour ...in an era where a mixture of all the decades of fashion collide into this mad colourful, bejewelled, nipped in at the waist, blue eye-shadow, pin up, dropped waistline, red lipstick, below the knees, above the knees, flapper, ruffs, feathers, sequined mess happens. With all this in mind and my hopes of one day being an accomplished eccentric I dressed how I felt comfortable and beautiful. A little miss matched and as comfortable as you can be with restricted breath.


Corset based on 1890 - 1900's pattern
In polka dot green and silver with silver metalwork
Blue feathered fascinator.
Both made by Madame Cakeface herself.

I love how teeny this corset makes my waist but honestly am quite uncomfortable with just how...ahem...fleshy...the whole ordeal is.

The night was incredible....the crowd was brilliant, everyone dressed up. The acts were tongue in cheek and other places too, whilst being graceful and gorgeously vibrant keeping everyone's eyes on the stage even though there was enough happening in the audience to keep you entertained.


I twirled the night away with a very dapper gentleman indeed and had one of the best Valentines celebrations ever. So here I am, could I say I'm a Valentines convert. I don't want flowers or chocolates, this lady just wants to be taken dancin'.


No comments:

Post a Comment